Send inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements to:
Christopher Boylan, Director Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
As a key part of the AAATA leadership team, the Manager of Planning & Development is responsible for leading and overseeing the planning of all agency services and infrastructure, and related policies, programs and partnerships.
This includes identifying needs and opportunities in the community, leading public engagement efforts; the development/refinement of plans, policies, programs and standards, and; monitoring performance of program design. While fixed-route bus service is of primary focus, other areas of concern may include paratransit, transportation demand management, facilities, and other authority services.
Direct reports include: Data & Services Coordinator; Service Planning & Communication Coordinator; Bus Stop & Service Planning Coordinator; Grants & Regional Planning Coordinator, and; Financial Analyst/Planner.
Accountabilities and Essential Functions:
- Lead and manage all activities associated with planning and improvement of services, infrastructure, and related policies programs and partnerships in order to effectively and efficiently service the needs of the community.
Planning of Services
- Lead/manage all activities associated with short & long term planning for policies, programs and projects to ensure agency initiatives advancing the agency’s vision. Responsibility areas include:
- Fixed-route services including local, express and special events; as well as overseeing detailed scheduling of vehicles.
- Paratransit service design and policy framework.
- Vanpool, demand response, private ride-sharing and mobility services.
- Infrastructure, including terminals, park n’ ride lots, bus stops, garages, etc
- Fleet requirements and long-term planning
- Coordinate agency input into the community’s larger land development initiatives, such as statutory plans, site plans, roadway designs, and transit/land-use relationships in general.
- Service planning with the Regional Transit Authority, other transit agencies and municipalities
- Intelligent Transportation Systems, priority measures, Smart Cards, etc
- Partnerships and programs with nearby institutions.
- Major investment studies
- Special projects as needed.
- Lead and manage the development of annual and multi-year service plans and special-event plans. Develop and confirm projections of future costs and revenues for budgeting processes.
- Lead development and updating of a framework of policies, practices, procedures, standards, and guidelines that define transit services. Ensure services are designed to comply with federal, state and local regulations, laws, policies and practices.
- Assist in developing plans for fare structures/pricing.
- Monitor performance of in-house and contracted service design programs and policies to assess effectiveness/efficiency, track progress towards goals, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure appropriate methodologies are used for all aspects of planning work including needs assessments, public involvement, surveys, field work, etc.
- Coordinate responses for inquiries, complaints and requests regarding non-operational matters pertaining to service designs or infrastructure.
- Lead and/or work with inter-departmental, external, Board, and regional working groups.
- Ensure complex planning issues are communicated in a clear concise manner to various audiences including management, Boards, co-workers, electeds, the public, customers, and stakeholders. Develop effective communication tools including reports, executive summaries, presentations, etc.
- Oversee consulting projects contract and project management as needed.
- Monitor changing federal and state regulatory requirements – incl. National Transit Database (NTD) and Title VI – to ensure compliance. Submit reports and other documentation as required.
- Prepare and implement purchase of service agreements, third-party fare payment agreements, and sub-recipient agreements. Coordinate with Finance on the record-keeping, reporting and invoicing.
- Oversee the agency’s bus stop development program including coordination with the Facilities Services Department.
Grant Application and Management:
- Assist in identifying funding opportunities to advance AAATA goals.
- Prepare, submit, and manage approval of TIP, long-range plan, and planning work program in cooperation with WATS and SEMCOG.
- Manage grant application and management processes, including monitoring of compliance requirements, and development and submission of required reports/documentation to optimize the use of available grant funding, maintain eligibility, and develop and maintain proper procedures.
- Develop, execute and monitor and report on federal and state grant applications.
- Provide senior leadership/supervision for the Planning & Service Development Dept to develop high-performance team that delivers services effectively/efficiently in a changing environment.
- Model and promote appropriate behaviors to foster a positive workplace culture.
- Inspire staff to enhance employee engagement. Help staff to understand the agency’s common purpose, values, ideals, and goals. Help staff to understand how their role contributes to the overall success of the team and impacts in the community.
- Encourage reflection and innovation in order to create an atmosphere of learning, growth and continuous improvement. Identify emerging trends, challenges and opportunities.
- Ensure effective communication/coordination within the department, and between the department and other parts of the organization. Assist in communication with Executive Team, Sr. Management Team, Board, staff, and partners. Establish cross-functional teams.
- Foster delegation, empowerment and collaboration for staff in order to encourage staff growth, organizational productivity and superior results.
- Ensure recognitions to enhance employee engagement, pride, loyalty, and commitment to team and community (espirt de corps). Establish employee development and succession plans that help staff reach their potential and enhance individual and organizational capacity. Provide clear expectations, coaching and feedback to direct reports in order to build on strengths, and foster learning and continuous improvement. Hold staff accountable for decisions, behaviors and actions.
- Ensure effective and efficient approaches to resource management throughout the department for the purposes of delivering agreed upon results.
- Work to ensure the department delivers agreed-upon results with the appropriate balance of quality, cost and timeliness. Oversee implementation of key projects or initiatives.
- Establish and recommend appropriate allocation of people and resources to ensure successful and efficient service delivery to internal and external customers.
- Establish and recommend appropriate policies, processes, procedures, and systems to effectively and efficiently handle workload. Establish appropriate organizational structures, and vertical/lateral communication flows. Ensure all are documented clearly.
- Demonstrate strong fiscal management including overseeing budgets, monitoring and managing financial resources, deadlines, and performance measures.
- Work towards smooth functioning between departments.
- Manage compliance with all relevant agency, regulatory, legislative and policy requirements, including those related to safety and privacy, confidentiality and record management. Manage risks, assets, and liabilities.
- As delegated, arrange/negotiate contracts, agreements, partnerships and other undertakings with outside organizations, ensuring the parameters of Authority policies are met.
- Participate in senior agency leadership to ensure development/success of the overall organization
- As a member of the Senior Management Team help clarify and implement the agency’s strategic direction, administrative policies and decisions as required.
- Operate as an interface between Senior Management Team and staff in order to foster strong and effective vertical and lateral communications and information flow.
- Ensure intra/inter-departmental communication and collaboration to clarify expectations, resolve misunderstandings, maximize integration, minimize overlaps, leverage economies of scale, improve overall organizational capabilities, and realize efficiencies.
- Perform other leadership duties, as assigned. This may include acting for this position’s immediate supervisor.