New Jersey Transit has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries and/or resume and salary requirements may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director
Transportation & Infrastructure Practice
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search
122 East 42 Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
The New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT), the nation’s third largest provider of bus, rail and light rail transit, covers a service area of 5,325 square miles, linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia. Its nearly 12,000 employees provide safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective transit service, providing approximately 270 million passenger trips each year with a fleet of 2,221 buses, 1,231 commuter rail and 21 light rail vehicles on 252 bus routes and 12 rail lines.
NJ TRANSIT also administers several publicly-funded transit programs for people with disabilities, senior citizens, and people living in the state’s rural areas, and provides support and equipment to a number of contracted bus carriers.
NJ TRANSIT is seeking an experienced, innovative and forward-thinking executive to serve as Senior Director, Infrastructure Engineering to lead and direct all phases of select engineering projects.
Reporting to the Deputy General Manager, Infrastructure Engineering, this position:
- Directs all phases, from conceptual planning and design through final review and implementation, of selected engineering projects as assigned by the DGM; coordinate all elements and functions of assigned projects through ad-hoc assignment of personnel and resources from other units within Infrastructure Engineering.
- Directs selected engineering projects (including planning, analysis and problem-solving studies) through coordination of conceptual plans, designs, reviews and construction among engineering sub-departments, other NJ TRANSIT units, external organizations and community interests.
- Provides consultation to the DGM, Infrastructure Engineering on engineering department policies, project plans, maintenance practices and responses to infrastructure emergencies.
- Directs the development of annual departmental budget, and administers expenses.
- Represents Rail Engineering department at inter-departmental meetings, such as track outages, morning report on operations, board item reviews, safety, budget, etc.
- Inspects work performed by railroad and contractor forces to ensure adherence to specifications standards.
- Ensures design, construction and maintenance programs adhere to plans and specifications, and conform to NJ TRANSIT, FRA, DCA, and other regulatory requirements.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Baccalaureate degree in Engineering.
- Ten (10) or more years of applied experience in the management of design, improvement, construction, operation and maintenance of railroad and rail facilities.
- Prior prior experience managing multiple Engineering disciplines (e.g., Track, Signals, Electric Traction, Structures, etc.).
- Excellent communication, leadership, management, organizational, team-building, analytical and interpersonal skills.
NJ TRANSIT is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.