Change Machine has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put “Change Machine Finance” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
Change Machine is a highly regarded nonprofit whose mission is to build financial security for low-income communities through people-powered technology. Founded in 2005 with the goal of increasing financial literacy for those in underserved and under resourced communities, Change Machine today prioritizes the financial security outcomes of those who stand to benefit the most in the design and delivery of tech-based products and services. Its mission aims to use the power of technology to build financial security across the ecosystem of customers, practitioners, and providers to close the gender and racial wealth gap.
Its Software as a Service (Saas) platform brings together practitioners and fintech providers to meet historically marginalized, low-income communities where they are, removing barriers to their success, creating equitable access to financial security, and empowering them to advance their financial lives on their own terms. Its products and practices have set the national standard for inclusive financial coaching, and more than 12,000 practitioners across all 50 states have used our platform to build their practice, connect with each other, and amplify their impact. The combination of our technology platform and our nonprofit mission enables us to more effectively achieve our vision of ensuring that technology advances financial equity.
In the Fall of 2023, Change Machine will create a for-profit entity to house its Saas platform that is owned by the non-profit. This position will play a crucial role in managing the business and financial strategy across the two entities.
The Head of Finance & Operations believes in true, systemic change to combat the financial insecurity of historically marginalized, low-income communities, namely Black/Brown women. You love collaborating with various levels of colleagues in the company (internally & externally) to continue to build the necessary foundations for achieving financial security for historically marginalized, low-income communities. The Head of Finance & Operations also brings with them outside the box but forward thinking in regard to fiscal strategies (implementation and execution) in order to build long-term financial sustainability for the company and to be able to provide a world-class financial experience for our customers. Lead the business and financial strategy to support the diversification of the organization’s income, both grant-driven for the mission, and earnings for the social enterprise; which will include a wide range of activities, from intra-company transactions to the possibility of managing a new corporate governance structure.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Support external financial strategist consultants in building a multi-year financial plan and underlying business model for the Saas platform.
- Leading discussions with the senior leadership team and board of directors including the board finance committee meetings to source input, receive approvals, develop scenario-planning, forecasting, and modeling for organizational growth.
- Work closely with our partnerships team to help develop revenue targets, understand the health of our pipeline, and analyze upcoming risks and opportunities for our business.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee external auditors in the completion of the annual financial statement audits and federal and state tax returns.
- Lead the external accounting team, ensuring there are appropriate structures and strong management in place across all aspects of the accounting function (monthly close, AR/AP, payroll, procurements, etc.) and administration function (contract review and management, reporting, etc.).
- Perform additional related responsibilities as assigned by the CEO.
- Ensure Change Machine has the business systems and processes in place (formal and informal) to efficiently and effectively manage the organization’s network, finances, pipeline, and human capital while aligning with the overall values of the organization.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of organizational liabilities and insurance, including review of annual or other insurance policies and securing insurance certificates as needed for events or activities.
- Oversee purchasing of supplies for the organization, including programming and development initiatives.
- Support staff organization-wide with all operational matters and compliance issues.
The responsibilities above are not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned.
Qualities and Competencies
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission of achieving financial security for historically marginalized, low-income communities.
- Can naturally guide and inspire their direct reports, colleagues, senior leadership, and Board members.
Skills & Experience
- An experienced leader with 7-10 years in tech finance, non-profit finance, or accounting role and at least three years of experience leading staff.
- A successful track record as a trusted counsel to executive leadership, management teams, and board members.
- Experienced in the development of accurate, timely, and useful financial reports.
- Able to switch seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork.
- Excited about the opportunity to get your hands dirty in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Highly systemized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Eager to be an engaged member in a creative community.
- Possesses an ownership mentality; able to handle multiple projects/requests, prioritize and delegate effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Quickbooks, Salesforce, Financial-force reporting, and Google suite
- Specially trained with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Regularly work 40 hours per week, as work dictates
- Hybrid schedule: 3 days in-office, 2 days work from home
- $125,000 – $140,000/yr.
- An attractive and competitive benefits package including:
- A generous 401(k) plan (with employer match)
- Life insurance
- Flexible work scheduling (Remote working is available as well as flexible start/end time, i.e., 8a -5p or 9a – 6p)
- Commuter Benefits
- Coffee/Tea talks
- Annual staff retreat
- Ample Paid Time Off
- 4 weeks of paid vacation during the year
- 12 federal holidays
- Paid Family Leave
Change Machine is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Change Machine does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, sex, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability. All qualified applications will be given equal opportunity and selection decisions are based solely on job-related factors.
For more information about Change Machine, please visit their website at www.change-machine.org