HELP USA has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, COO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Please put “HELP USA CFO” in the subject line of your emailed application.
Background: HELP USA is a well known and highly regarded nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate homelessness by providing an array of services including homelessness prevention, transitional and permanent housing, mental and behavioral health counseling, veteran’s services, and workforce, education, and enrichment programs to help individuals lead self-sustaining lives. Founded in 1986, HELP USA has grown from a single shelter in Brooklyn to become an over $140 million dollar homelessness relief and advocacy organization that works nationwide. It maintains over 2500 units of transitional housing, 2200 units of permanent affordable housing and has served over 500,000 individuals and families over the years.
HELP USA has a complex budget, with its revenue derived from multiple sources, including government grants and contracts, and other restricted and nonrestricted funds. Because of the nature of its work and the constraints of its funding, HELP USA must be absolutely certain that its accounting practices and financial management procedures are efficient and above reproach. At the same time, the Finance team must communicate clearly and work collaboratively with the service delivery teams toward HELP USA’s goal of achieving optimal impact in the communities where it works. Towards that end, HELP USA places the highest regard on having financial management executives who act with precision and integrity, ensuring that all parties are well- served and protected.
Position: HELP USA is seeking a smart, strategic, highly skilled, energetic, and experienced financial executive who has proven leadership in significant management positions to become its new Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Reporting directly to the CEO, the CFO leads the Finance and Technology Services Teams and is a key member of the Executive Team. They will be responsible for all financial management and technology services activities, including budgeting and financial planning, and will provide counsel and advice to the executive staff and the Board on all fiscal matters.
The CFO will oversee and implement financial policies and plans for HELP USA and will provide overall management and direction for the accounting, budgeting, banking, grant review, purchasing, treasury payroll and tax reporting functions. The CFO plans and develops the HELP USA’s basic systems of accounting and financial control and is the custodian of the company’s financial assets and funds. The CFO is the chief spokesperson on all financial matters and serves as primary liaison to the HELP USA Finance Committee, as well as to Finance Directors at funding agencies that contract with HELP USA.
The successful candidate must be able to work closely and collaboratively with the Chief Executive Officer and other members of the executive and senior management teams and be able to integrate smoothly into the senior management at HELP USA, fitting into the organization’s collaborative and inclusive culture. They must be passionate about HELP USA’s work and be able to work with the Board and staff in a collegial, supportive, and direct manner in a spirit of mutual trust and with a minimum of ego.
They will be highly collaborative and have the ability to build cohesion and coordination among a diverse team working on a wide range of projects across multiple functions and locations, addressing and solving problems as they arise. The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, a hands-on management style, and an ability to listen and be inclusive of ideas. In addition, they will be diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
- Plans and develops a sustainable financial structure for HELP. Responsible for the company’s systems of accounting and financial control.
- Responsible for the uniform and consistent recording and reporting of all fiscal transactions; supervises the preparation and presentation of the company’s financial forecasts/ cash flow analyses. Ensures that all reports properly present the company’s financial position.
- Oversees the production of monthly and annual reports that facilitate senior management’s monitoring of programmatic fiscal performance. Works to create an environment in which finance and program are aligned, integrated and transparent with each other and both are working to achieve mission success.
- Takes necessary action to ensure compliance with financial requirements established by law or regulation, or to which agreement or contract commits the company; directs the preparation and submission of reports required thereunder.
- Manages Cash flow and oversee the company’s financing activities. Develops, recommends, and implements investment policy. Cultivate and maintain key banking and investment firm relationships.
- Evaluates and assesses debt financing needs, covenant, and contingency requirements
- Ensures fiscal policies and procedures comply with requirements of funders and regulatory agency
- Serves as primary liaison to Finance Directors at municipal, state and federal agencies that contract with HELP. Works in collaboration with the CEO to advocate with funding agencies for reasonable and timely contract renewals and payment practices.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with CFOs at other homeless service/ housing organizations; plays a leadership role in policy/ advocacy efforts on issues that impact the organization’s financial performance.
- Primary liaison to the Finance and Audit Committees of the HELP USA Board
- Oversees the administration of the company’s tax accounting and audit activity; ensures that the company’s tax returns, and audit reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Identifies existing and potential risks involving the company and ensures compliance with insurance requirements of all contracts and regulations. Oversees insurance coverage; prepares proposals for purchase of insurance to brokers and insurers; negotiates insurance policy terms and conditions with brokers and insurance companies and commits the company to purchase of insurance and services.
- Oversee Technology team, create strategic long- and short-term plans with a focus on developing a technology roadmap. Ensure that information systems operate according to internal standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field required; MBA or other advanced degree a plus
- License: CPA strongly preferred
- Minimum of fifteen years senior level experience in the nonprofit sector and/or equivalent business experience, with at least 10 years in a senior management position.
- Significant financial management experience
- Nonprofit or experience working with government contracts is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills; financial strategist.
- Record of accomplishment of building and leading effective teams and coaching/developing others to maximize their potential.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution; knowledge of contracting, negotiation and change management.
- Skill in examining and streamlining operations and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people; ability to inspire trust and to motivate staff.
- Ability to establish priorities that align with a strategic plan and manage multiple agendas and programs effectively.
- Excellent technology skills. Must be skilled at the evaluation and use of financial management software for organizations of this size and complexity.
- Fluency using and understanding data to inform decision making.
HELP USA is based in New York City and offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is expected to be in the $240K to $260K range.
All positions at HELP USA are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
For more information about HELP USA, please visit their website at www.helpusa.org