The 32BJ Benefit Funds has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Anne McCarthy, Chief Operating Officer
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please include “32BJ FPA Director” in the subject line of your emailed application.
About the Funds:
The Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds (the Funds) is the umbrella organization responsible for administering Health, Training, Pension, Retirement Savings, and Legal Services benefits to the members of Local 32BJ, who are the men and women providing services primarily at commercial and residential properties, including office cleaners, door persons, window cleaners, maintenance workers, food service workers, and security officers, among others. The Funds’ benefits are many, with members able to take advantage of dental services, health services, education and training opportunities, retirement plans, and legal services and more.
The Funds oversees and manages $8.3 billion in assets, which are made up of many, varied and complex funds. The dollars come from a number of sources, including the property owners who pay into the funds on behalf of their employees, and as such, requires those who oversee and manage the money to be highly skilled financial management people.
The 32BJ Benefit Funds is seeking a very intelligent, strategic, highly skilled, energetic, and experienced financial professional who has proven leadership in significant management positions to become its new Director for Fiscal Planning and Accounting. Reporting directly to the Director of Finance and Administration, they will oversee financial planning and accounting activities and will provide counsel and advice to the senior management staff. They will help implement financial policies and plans for the multiple funds and will provide overall management and direction for the accounting, budgeting, and fiscal planning functions.
The Director of Fiscal Planning and Accounting is responsible for managing the accounting of groups of related Multi-Employer (Taft-Hartley) Benefit Funds (currently but not limited to building Service 32BJ “South” Funds, “North Funds, Broadway League Connecticut and Massachusetts Service Employee’s Pension Funds); preparing / supervising preparation of financial analyses, including interim and annual financial statements and budget reports; preparing periodic cash flow projections; presentations to the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees; maintaining supervision over general accounting, payroll and Accounts Payable.
This position requires thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for Multi-Employer (Taft-Hartley) Benefit Funds; knowledge of the collective bargaining process is preferred; knowledge of applicable Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations applicable to Multi-Employer Benefit Funds including preparation of 5500 and 990 Forms.
The right candidate will have a proven track record of leadership in senior management positions for significant institutions. They will act as a trusted advisor to the Director of Finance and Administration, and will be an accountable, critical partner to the management team. The successful candidate will understand and demonstrate experience in business planning and positioning in a complex organizational structure. They will have experience handling multiple funding sources and an ability to articulate successful strategies to maintain fiscal viability.
The Director of Fiscal Planning and Accounting will manage a team of people with diverse skills. Candidates must be adept leaders with an ability to develop colleagues aligned with organizational values of accountability and autonomy. Further, the successful candidate will have strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills, a hands-on management style, and the ability to address and solve problems or issues proactively. In addition, they should be diplomatic, an active problem solver, and possess sound judgment as well as an appropriate sense of humor.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Continuously connect staff to organizational mission and vision by messaging overall Fund objectives, progress towards objectives and departmental/ individual contributions to the overall effort.
- Advocate for department identifying opportunities for improvement and challenges to be navigated.
- Ensure Accounting Department Leadership Teams have a clear understanding of unit objectives and effectively lead their units to achieve objectives; provide unit heads with coaching to improve their effectiveness.
- Promote integrity, adherence to accounting and ethical standards, compliance with regulations and internal policies and 32BJFunds values.
- Inspire staff to see new possibilities, excite staff to pursue them and empower staff to take individual and team initiative to accomplish goals; and
- Create a culture of excellence.
- Establish departmental organizational design that best aligns to functions, responsibilities and workloads while promoting efficiency, proper controls, and necessary segregation of duties.
- Establish job descriptions that communicate roles, responsibilities, and performance standards. Job descriptions should cover leadership and management responsibilities, job tasks, communication skills, contributions to departmental capacity building and professional behaviors including contributions to effective team engagement.
- Create clear performance standards for all units and staff, working with direct reports to articulate requirements for more junior staff.
- Complete performance evaluations that provide specific actionable feedback with respect to job task proficiency, responsibilities, and professional behaviors; develop professional development goals and actions to enable the required development.
- Provide ongoing coaching to staff, with emphasis on direct reports, supporting them to be effective team leaders with respect to people, process, and project management.
- Support senior staff to effectively engage with funders, participate in funder meetings and become appropriately engaged in the community of providers.
- Develop and implement a cross-training program to improve departmental resiliency and create development opportunities for staff; and
- Map career development progressions for staff to improve staff connection to 32BJ Funds and increase their enthusiasm for staff development and improving performance.
Process and Project Management
- Work with Fund management to establish work process performance standards for volume, accuracy, consistency, timeliness, and efficiency.
- Ensure all monthly process deliverables are appropriately completed/submitted, as appropriate and conduct monthly process evaluations to attain performance standards.
- Ensure effective project management for departmental projects such as the audit, exploration of new services and/or service providers so projects yield quality results, efficiently, on-time, on budget; and
- Support staff to learn project management fundamentals such as the creation of project plans and budgets, executing effective project management meetings, proactively identifying, and managing project risk.
Digital Technology & Financial Planning Analysis
- Present data visually to better explain key patterns, trends, and correlations using Business Intelligence tools.
- Establish a team to analyze financial data to gain insights, improve predictions, and support decision making efforts.
- Partner cross-functionally with department leaders to ensure the availability, utility, integrity, and security of financial data is met.
- Identify new analytics opportunities using Dynamics 365 F&O and other systems to enhance overall business performance.
Day to Day Operational Responsibilities
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operational responsibilities of the department. Will be expected to jump in and do the work as needed. Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring adherence to GAAP and related ERISA, & DOL requirements.
- Ensuring proper and timely filing of tax returns (990s, 990Ts, 5500s and related State return and compliance filings.
- Overseeing the budgeting process for all Funds; and
- Conducting fiscal analyses to inform managerial decisions as well as modeling and forecasting for strategic planning.
- Oversee accounting procedures, processes, and treatments to ensure they are accurate and correct.
- Oversee Treasury function: cash flow analysis and forecasting, including bank reconciliations, cash management and routine rolling short-term, monthly, and quarterly cash forecasting.
- Oversee annual financial audits and direct production of interim financial statements; and
- Reviews monthly Health Fund Per Member Per Month Benefit Cost and analysis for review by Health Savings Committee.
- Provide additional support as directed by executive and senior leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required, master’s degree preferred
- 15+ years of experience in executive management, with a track record of setting and realizing outcome-oriented organizational objectives in collaboration with an engaged board and an experienced executive team
- Expertise in personnel, budget, and project management, including the development and execution of strategic plans, operating and capital budgets, and systems that drive quality and speed
- Demonstrated experience in the planning and execution of large-scale capital construction projects (preferred)
- Familiarity with New York City and State government (first-hand preferred)
- Outstanding written and oral communication, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills, ability to serve as the public presence of the Authority in the media and at public events
- Experience working with a board and the ability to leverage their time and talents in support of organizational success
- Superior managerial and interpersonal skills and experience leading staff in a multifaceted, multifunctional environment in ways that emphasize collaboration and teamwork
The negotiable salary range for this position is $250,000-275,000.
For more information about the Battery Park City Authority, please visit their website at https://bpca.ny.gov
All positions at the Battery Park City Authority are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: The Battery Park City Authority has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, President & CEO
Harris Rand Lusk
260 Madison Avenue, 15th Fl.
New York, NY 10016
Email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Battery Park City Authority” in the subject line of your emailed application.