Maimonides Health has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk (HRL) to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to Jack Lusk – HRL’s CEO.
Please send resume and cover letter expressing your interest in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line of your email should read “MH SVP”
Background: Maimonides Health is Brooklyn’s largest healthcare system, with 1,800 physicians serving over 300,000 patients each year through the system’s 3 hospitals and more than 80 community-based practices and outpatient centers. The system is anchored by Maimonides Medical Center, one of the nation’s largest independent teaching hospitals and home to centers of excellence in numerous specialties; Maimonides Midwood Community Hospital (formerly New York Community Hospital), a 130-bed adult medical-surgical hospital; and Maimonides Children’s Hospital, Brooklyn’s only children’s hospital and only pediatric trauma center. Maimonides’ clinical programs rank among the best in the country for patient outcomes, including its Heart and Vascular Institute, Neurosciences Institute, Bone and Joint Center, and Cancer Center. Maimonides is an affiliate of Northwell Health and a major clinical training site for SUNY Downstate College of Medicine.
Position: Maimonides Health (“MH”) is seeking a Senior Vice President, External Affairs who will be responsible for the strategic direction and success of external affairs programs for the health system, including public relations, marketing, internal/corporate communications, community relations, and government relations. Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the SVP EA will be a key member of the executive leadership team and oversee a range of functions related to promoting MH and its mission, building institutional support, and engaging with the diverse communities Maimonides serves.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned, well-networked, and creative professional with proven success working with both public and private sectors. The SVP EA must be a connector able to forge productive relationships with public officials and leaders in the healthcare industry and local communities throughout NYC and NYS.
Leading a team of professionals across multiple departments, the SVP EA will:
- Together with the senior leadership team, develop and implement an effective, external relations strategy to advance MH’s public-facing agenda, promoting constructive relations with community organizations and government
- Oversee Community Relations, Government Relations, and Marketing & Communications departments building a team that works efficiently and cohesively across functional areas
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer, SVP for Business Development, SVP for Strategy & Administration, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and other colleagues to ensure that activities related to promoting the organization are synchronized
- Select, hire and supervise senior departmental staff, developing a team-based environment that motivates and inspires staff to work collaboratively toward vision and goals
- Develop annual budgets for each department and ensure that they operate within these budgets
- Partner with the CDO on effective fundraising strategies, advancing development priorities that financially support departments and organizational vision
- Create systems that support ongoing internal education and awareness of community issues
- Raise the profile of the MH programs with strategic partners and foster partnerships for influence and impact with key stakeholders (including private sector, government, and the media)
- Build coalitions and durable support throughout the borough, city and state.
- Devise and execute an annual calendar of events and programs that educate community members about health issues and services provided by MH, attracting new patients and fostering relationships between the organization and the communities it serves
- Serve as the primary internal resource regarding the needs and concerns of the communities MH serves, as well as trends in public policy
- Act as an ambassador for the organization, representing the President & CEO or the organization at external events
- Create effective partnerships with advocacy and governmental organizations as well as peer organizations that have common policy interests
- Educate elected officials and policymakers about MH services, policy issues affecting the organization, and community health needs
- Track relevant legislation and policy developments and provide statistical and factual information to assist policy makers and advocates
- Represent MH in industry-wide groups and coalitions related to public policy
- Working closely with colleagues in the Finance Department and operational areas, identify opportunities to secure public funding for key programs and develop grant applications
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee development and implementation, of a comprehensive mar/comm program that includes digital and traditional marketing, public relations, press/media relations, web development, graphic design, internal and corporate communications, social media, sponsorships, and events
- In collaboration with senior leadership, manage the organization’s crisis communications strategies
- Provide thought leadership to teams developing effective and consistent core messaging for MH, both internal and external. This includes ensuring staff are kept informed of MH and departmental priorities
- Guide organizational philosophy and approaches to publicity and promotion; ensures that public relations efforts are compliant with philosophy and goals.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson and provide editorial oversight for key strategic communications
- Bachelor’s Degree; advanced degree in public administration/policy, healthcare administration, business, social science, public relations, advertising, marketing, or a related field preferred
- At least 10 years’ experience related to government relations, community relations, corporate affairs, public relations, public policy, or non-profit executive leadership
- Proven leadership experience with excellent critical thinking, decision- making, and team building skills
- Hands-on management style and promote a respectful and inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego
- Significant track record of supportive, collaborative leadership, strong supervision, and commitment to staff development
- Innovative and strategic thinker capable of building strong rapport and relationships with highly diverse stakeholders, and forging common ground to generate buy-in from parties with a variety of perspectives
- Exceptional oral and written communications abilities, including effective listening and presentation skills for diverse audiences and the ability to maneuver through complicated relationships to achieve goals
- Exceptional operational and business acumen
- Outstanding problem-solving abilities; strong skills at both conceptualizing solutions and organizing implementation
- Focused and effective response to crisis and must thrive in a high-pressure environment
- Strong organizational skills, high attention to detail and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of the policymaking environment in New York City/State and its intersection with not-for-profit organizations
- Very strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Experience delivering services or programs in a culturally competent manner for diverse groups
- Highest levels of integrity and professionalism.
Maimonides Health is based in Brooklyn, NY and offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is expected to be in the $300k to $360k range
Maimonides Health is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment.
For more information about Maimonides Health, please visit their website at www.maimo.org