Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Christopher Boylan, Director, Transportation and Infrastructure, or
Rick Bacigalupo, Associate Director
Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search 260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Your application should include a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the role; please put “PSTA” in the subject line of your e-mail.
The Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority (PSTA) is the regional transit authority serving the Tampa Bay region on the west coast of Florida with more than 300 buses and 920 dedicated and contracted employees. In 2023, PSTA was named by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) as the nation’s most outstanding mid-sized transit agency and the Florida Public Transportation Association named PSTA Florida’s best transit agency.
PSTA is known as one of the most innovative transportation systems in the United States with partnerships between public transit and transportation network companies, while increasing transit ridership and successfully launching the first rapid transit line implementation, the SunRunner, in Tampa Bay’s history.
PSTA’s adopted “Sustainable Strategic Plan” has led to the investment in converting nearly a third of PSTA’s own fixed route fleet to zero emission electric buses and low-emission hybrid electric buses. Nationally known for investment in leadership and workforce development sponsoring over a dozen of its leaders in the Leadership APTA and Emerging Leaders Programs as well as a successful internal “Leadership PSTA” management program.
CHIEF PLANNING & COMMUNITY AFFAIRS OFFICER
Under the general direction of the Chief Executive Officer, this position manages and oversees the Authority’s strategic planning efforts, coordinating all external relationships with the community and other external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be motivated and enjoys working in an innovative team environment, communicating with varied stakeholders and leading a diverse staff, always embodying the organization’s values of communication, inclusion, collaboration and customer service.
- Assist the CEO in developing, managing and executing PSTA’s short and long term strategic planning efforts.
- Under the direction of the CEO and the Board, seek input into those plans from community groups and other critical public and private funding partners and stakeholders.
- Engage with PSTA’s customers, community and business groups, the general public, media, and other stakeholders in order to build trusting partnerships throughout the service region.
- Work effectively with elected officials, local, state and federal agencies, including the Federal Transit Administration and the Florida Dept of Transportation among others.
- Maintain PSTA’s relationship and standing with the American Public Transportation Association (“APTA”), leveraging that relationship to advance PSTA’s interests.
- Implement solutions that strive to meet the needs and expectations of stakeholders and attract riders in order to better serve the community and increase ridership.
- Use emerging management techniques & technology to promote PSTA and keep riders and stakeholders informed of service changes, disruptions, and/or new service offerings.
- In concert and under the direction of the CEO, keep the PSTA Board informed of all planning efforts, including regularly making presentations to Board Committees, the full Board, and Municipal Meetings.
- Prepare a variety of written materials and reports for CEO and Board review such as, but not limited to, activity and status reports, planning documents, legislative updates, budgets, resource allocation and trend analyses.
- Provide strategic direction to the planning division that will set and drive organization-wide and employee efforts to achieve the goals and Key Performance Indicators of the Authority’s Sustainable Strategic Plan.
- Hire, mentor, develop, evaluate, coach/counsel, and when necessary, terminate personnel according to PSTA’s Guiding Principles, Organizational Scorecards, established policies, procedures and guidelines including Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action (“EEO/AA”) program goals and objectives.
- Establish and maintain healthy working relationships with all employees that foster an open, collaborative, positive, professional, and safe work environment.
- Ensure strong and positive communication throughout the organization, including with the agency’s organized labor partners.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of the Authority’s planning budget.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in urban and/or transportation planning, communications, public relations, political science or equivalent. Will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties.
- At least 10-15 years’ of increasingly responsible experience in developing and managing strategic planning efforts that includes a history of managing external relationships and seeking inputs from governmental, community and stakeholder input. Experience in public transportation and/or transportation environment highly desirable.
- Must have/be able to obtain, a valid Florida Driver’s License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Transit strategic planning experience that includes plan development and execution.
- History of communicating with and securing buy-in from both internal and external audiences and stakeholders in the development and execution of a Strategic Plan.
- Experience using emerging Project Management strategies and methods, as well as emerging technologies in public transportation industry.
- Experience with budget development and management, database management systems and applications, and contracting procedures.
- Experience with Federal and State regulations affecting public transportation.
- Skilled in using computer and software applications, including spreadsheet programs.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously; Ability to explain complicated and technical information in simple, non-technical language both verbally and in writing;
- Must possess excellent communication skills including ability to work with other divisions, teams and provide support as needed.
- Must exhibit resourcefulness and ability to work independently as well as in diverse multi-disciplinary teams on multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Must maintain confidential information, prepare clear/concise/complete written material.
- Must exercise good judgment and embody the department’s values of communication, collaboration and customer service in day-to-day performance of job functions.
Competitive, dependent on experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PSTA is an equal opportunity employer.
Further Information and/or to Apply
Send a current resume & salary requirements to: Christopher Boylan, at Harris Rand Lusk Executive Search: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rick Bacigalupo: email@example.com